- Doctor of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2014; Bloomington, IN
- Bachelor of Science (with Honors), Marshall University, 2010; Huntington, WV
- Matewan High School, 2005; Matewan, WV
- Internship, Indianapolis Eye Care Center; Indianapolis, IN
- Internship, Atwater Eye Care Center; Bloomington, IN
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Lexington, KY
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Huntington, WV
- Member, WV Association of Optometric Physicians (WVAOP), 2011 – Present
- Member, American Optometric Association (AOA), 2010 – Present
- Optometrist, 130th Airlift Wing, United States Air Force (West Virginia Air National Guard), 2016 – Present
Shawn Sammons, OD, a lifelong resident of Mingo County, is a 2005 graduate of Matewan High School. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from Marshall University in 2010 with honors. He graduated from the Indiana University School of Optometry in Bloomington, IN in 2014. There, he was a member of the Gold Key International Honor Society, Beta Sigma Kappa optometric honor society, the Private Practice Club, and served as an associate instructor for clinical science courses. He was also a member of Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity (VOSH) where he spent time in Guanajuato, Mexico providing volunteer eye care services to underserved citizens of central Mexico.
He is a member of the American Optometric Association (AOA) and the West Virginia Association of Optometric Physicians (WVAOP), where he serves as Trustee to the Association. Shawn practices full-scope optometry as defined by the West Virginia laws. His special interests include primary eye care for all ages, contact lenses (including specialty contact lenses), treatment and management of ocular diseases, cataract surgical co-management, and refractive surgery consultation and co-management.
When not in the office, Shawn serves as an optometrist in the West Virginia Air National Guard in Charleston, WV. He also keeps individual and team statistics for the Mingo Central High School football team. His hobbies include playing golf, traveling, watching sports (especially Indiana Basketball and Marshall Football), and spending time with his family. Shawn is happily married to his wife, Laura, and they have two black cats, MJ and JJ.