- Williamson High School Graduate, 1974, Williamson, WV
- Attended Southern West Virginia Community College, 1977-1978
- Southern College of Optometry, Doctor of Optometry, Bachelor of Science, 1978-1982
- Senior Externship, Gordon Butterfield, O.D, Charleston, WV, 1981
- Senior Externship, St. Luke's Hospital, New Port Richey, FL, 1982
- Member of the American Optometric Association since 1982
- Member of the West Virginia Optometric Association since 1982
- Past member of The National Association of Sports Vision, Contact Lens Section of the America Optometric Association
In 1950, my father, J.H. Wilson, O.D., began practicing Optometry here in Williamson with Dr. J. F. Brown. Several years later, Dr. Brown retired, leaving my father with the solo practice. He practiced general Optometry with heavy emphasis in geriatric care. In 1962, the office was relocated from the Ammar Building to 106 Logan Street. In June 1996, we proudly opened our freestanding building at 126 West 2nd Avenue. This 3200 square foot, state-of-the-art facility offers the most modern equipment and computerization as well as ample parking for our staff and patients.
I joined my father as a Southern College of Optometry graduate (Memphis, TN) in 1982. My special interests areas are pediatric, geriatric, contact lenses, sports vision, low vision, refractive surgery, and primary eyecare. Also, with the West Virginia diagnostic and therapeutic drug legislation in place, I have been certified to practice the full scope of Optometry as defined by that law.
I have been an active member of the American Optometric Association, the West Virginia Optometric Association, National Academy of Sports Vision, Better Vision Institute, and Contact Lens Section of the AOA. I also have been active in the First Baptist Church, Tug Valley Arts Council, WildWood Garden Club, Williamson’s Main Street Program, and the Tug Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Our office is a model private vision care center carefully designed and equipped to offer our patients the finest and most sophisticated eyecare available.
My hobbies including computing, music (particularly jazz in all forms), snow skiing, tennis, but most of all, spending time with my wife and two terrific sons.
- Doctor of Optometry, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2014; Bloomington, IN
- Bachelor of Science (with Honors), Marshall University, 2010; Huntington, WV
- Matewan High School, 2005; Matewan, WV
- Internship, Indianapolis Eye Care Center; Indianapolis, IN
- Internship, Atwater Eye Care Center; Bloomington, IN
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Lexington, KY
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Huntington, WV
- Member, WV Association of Optometric Physicians (WVAOP), 2011 – Present
- Member, American Optometric Association (AOA), 2010 – Present
- Optometrist, 130th Airlift Wing, United States Air Force (West Virginia Air National Guard), 2016 – Present
Shawn Sammons, OD, a lifelong resident of Mingo County, is a 2005 graduate of Matewan High School. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from Marshall University in 2010 with honors. He graduated from the Indiana University School of Optometry in Bloomington, IN in 2014. There, he was a member of the Gold Key International Honor Society, Beta Sigma Kappa optometric honor society, the Private Practice Club, and served as an associate instructor for clinical science courses. He was also a member of Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity (VOSH) where he spent time in Guanajuato, Mexico providing volunteer eye care services to underserved citizens of central Mexico.
He is a member of the American Optometric Association (AOA) and the West Virginia Association of Optometric Physicians (WVAOP), where he serves as Trustee to the Association. Shawn practices full-scope optometry as defined by the West Virginia laws. His special interests include primary eye care for all ages, contact lenses (including specialty contact lenses), treatment and management of ocular diseases, cataract surgical co-management, and refractive surgery consultation and co-management.
When not in the office, Shawn serves as an optometrist in the West Virginia Air National Guard in Charleston, WV. He also keeps individual and team statistics for the Mingo Central High School football team. His hobbies include playing golf, traveling, watching sports (especially Indiana Basketball and Marshall Football), and spending time with his family. Shawn is happily married to his wife, Laura, and they have two black cats, MJ and JJ.