- Matewan High School, 2005; Matewan, WV
- Bachelor of Science, Marshall University, 2010; Huntington, WV
- Doctor of Optometry, Indiana University, 2014; Bloomington, IN
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Huntington, WV
- Externship, VA Medical Center; Lexington, KY
- Internship, Atwater Eye Care Center; Bloomington, IN
- Internship, Indianapolis Eye Care Center; Indianapolis, IN
- Member, American Optometric Association, 2010-Present
- Member, WV Association of Optometric Physicians, 2011-Present
G. Shawn Sammons, O.D., a lifelong resident of Mingo County, is a 2005 graduate of Matewan High School. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from Marshall University in 2010 with honors. Shawn graduated from the Indiana University School of Optometry in Bloomington, IN in 2014. There, he was a member of the Gold Key International and Beta Sigma Kappa optometric honor societies, the Private Practice Club, and served as an associate instructor for underclassmen clinical science courses. He was also a member of the Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity (VOSH) group where he spent time in Guanajuato, Mexico providing volunteer eye care services to underserved citizens of central Mexico.
He is a member of the American Optometric Association and the West Virginia Association of Optometric Physicians. Having recently graduated, Shawn is well trained to practice full-scope optometry as defined by the West Virginia laws. His special interests include primary eye care for all ages, contact lenses (including soft lenses for astigmatism and multifocal lenses as well as specialty scleral lenses), treatment and management of ocular diseases (including glaucoma and dry eye), and refractive surgery consultation.
In his spare time, Shawn enjoys playing golf, traveling, watching sports (especially Indiana basketball and Marshall football), and spending time with his family. He is excited to have achieved his lifelong dream to become an optometrist and is looking forward to becoming involved in his community to help better the quality of life for people in the Tug Valley area. Further, he is excited to help his fiancée, Dr. Laura Suppa, plan their upcoming wedding. Laura is also an optometrist who practices in Charleston, WV.